Monday, May 19, 2008

Dublin City centre "Private Car" ban

Spire of Dublin (on O'Connell Street)Image via WikipediaSo let's get this straight. There will not be a "Private car ban" in Dublin City until 2011. Aside from the obvious cycnicism I have right now for that comment from Noel Dempsey I obviously welcome the fact that I may be able to get through Dublin City Center on my bike without the necessity of carrying around a copy of my Last Will and Testament in my back pocket! Well it had to happen sooner or later I guess. They got rid of the HGV's in 2005 and the humble car's days have been numbered since then coupled with the "success" of the congestion charge in London City.

However my cynicism lies in the fact that 2011 is no ordinary date. Have a look below to see the key Governmental events of the next couple of years.
  • 2008, Lisbon I and Lisbon II, if it does not get passed the first time.
  • 2008, Possibility of the Children's "Rights" Referendum at the end of the year.
  • 2009, Local and European Elections.
  • 2009, 90th Anniversary (officially) of the Irish State, with the Declaration of Independence and some Events to mark this will be held.
  • 2012, Next General Election if this government runs to Full term.
So they will be delaying for a while whilst these events roll out and are forgotten and only then will the construction work on the Metro and Luas Extension begins in 2011 after this private car ban has been introduced. Meanwhile these events will be forgotten about by the time the General Election rolls out and we will trundle along again. Unless those in the opposition finally get into shape. But erm in the meanwhile I will be holding on to that copy of my Will in my back pocket for another couple of years. Just in Case and the War between me and Dublin Bus continues onwards. Watch out Dublin Bus-I am not afraid to cycle in my lane!! Bah.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home