Saturday, February 23, 2008

Eurosong 2008: That song.

As I write this, I am a little Irate so forgive the rant. I don't care right now but im going to rant anyway. The turkey won Eurosong 2008. He will represent the Republic of Ireland, and all of its 5m peoples in a Song Contest that I truly love and enjoy. He will be the sole representative of our country and our republic on a stage, that is beamed into the homes of some 5bn people worldwide as well as every European Union member state. To say I am very very pissed off, is a very major understatement. I am ashamed that song will be representing us in Europe. I do not care if it wins in Europe, which it will not as I stand here on this the 23rd February 2008, the fact is we are now sending a puppet to sing in a European wide songcontest which we have the distinction of being the seven time champion, annoys me very very much. I do not like the fact that we shall be a laughing stock of Europe.
The Eurovision has had the piss taken out of it for the last number of years and now it will continue to have it taken again. I was glad to see that I was not the only one embrassed by this win as there was members of the audience who booed and hissed when he was announced as winner. I cannot and will not support this entry into Eurovision 2008 in Belgrade. I shall be looking for a surrogate Eurovision entry to hide my burning shame of this entry. If anybody has any suggestions at this stage, leave a comment and we will investigate.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted for dustin. 1
Yes, the eurovison is technically a "song contest" but in reality it is nothiong more than circus where people either vote for their neighbouring country orthe most ridiculous performance.

What dustin is doing is acknowledging this fact and taking the piss out of the eurovision showing what a farce it has become.

I voted for him in protest at how little this "song contest" has to do with "song quality"

February 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Jeff R said...

it wasn't me but I slightly agree...

February 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger John James said...

Ok whilst I accept both of your comments and cheers for making them-means I am not talking to myself all of the time! :-)
the fact is whilst bloc voting occurs, bloc voting has always been apart of Eurovision, even in the good auld days of only 16 of us showing off our wares. Personally I think what seriously needs to be considered now, is a return to the judges system with some input from Public voting. Yes I may be lambasted for that comment and for reifying those in the music industry who have an idea of what is going on, but honestly Dustin's song is a load of tripe. It works well in Ireland because it is Irish humour, It will not work well in Belgrade and our European neighbours will be less than enamoured with our entry.
I think the EBU also has to consider its position on public tele-voting also, and have a mix between the two as a way of combating bloc voting. However as I commented after last year's show, We don't do express our nationalism and alliances through war anymore in Europe, we simply express it through Eurovision and a force of wills for our neighbours.

Rgds,
j.

March 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home