Friday, April 25, 2008

Facebook Chat and IE 6

Windows Internet ExplorerImage via Wikipedia
Ok so much fanfare and much ado about the latest little thing to happen with the Facebook development people-Facebook Chat.(See Damien Mulley's post about it here) Well thats just great. Now I have to deal with several chat programes such as MSN, Google Chat and now Facebook IM. Bah! However there is one slight sigh of relief I have about Facebook chat-It will not work on HEA computers who have IE 6 installed on them, which the vast majority of UCD's computers appear to have. Happy Days in one way; Means I might actually get some work done on College computers.

I am curious though, if Facebook chat is only developed for IE7 or Firefox or Safari or Flock, why not for IE6. Perhaps it can be summed up in a neat little sentence about IE6 and how shite it was/is Security Wise.

SO if this is the case then with regards the serious Security flaws etc and it is being used in HEA institutions still; How vulnerable are HEA institutions when it continues to use IE 6? IE 6 was pretty much obsolete the moment IE 7 was released in October 2006. It is now May 2008 and IE6 is still in use in this particular institution. I wonder how many more are the same?

Regardless, I have just recently discovered that I can use Firefox via my USB key, using Portable Apps, I will have solved my problem of not being able to use Facebook Chat in IE6 before it has made any impact on my Addiction for Internet usage! :-). Doesn't solve the problem of Internet security within IE6 though in UCD. Works great though for keeping those pesky students off social networking sites. :-)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Coda said...

Microsoft angers me too. IE6 has the worst rendering engine of all internet browsers. Triton is a joke. And security features are more annoying than protecting. They're abusing the monopoly that they have, and really ought to be taken out of the market.

April 27, 2008 at 2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home