Friday, January 18, 2008

Surely Shirley

Before anybody says it, I wasnt expecting it either. However one never expects when little surprises happen. And lo'behold little Shirley was born.

Ok so she's not real(*covers the childs ears* "sssh dear, the adults are talking")....Shes part of a Bebo application and so she is a "Bebo Baby", of the Bebo Generation David McWilliams will profess no doubt in years to come, when he comes to write about the year 2000 generation.

Now I am sure I had a point to this post and I am sure it will emerge somewhere, for the moment though look at Shirley isnt' she cute? I think she has my eyes and i do like the jacket we picked out for her. Focus on her whilst I find my point.


Anyways yes, babies! It struck me how casually this baby was created, a few clicks here, a little there and you have made a baby with somebody of your choosing. No anxious waiting. No waiting for the right time. No ante-natal classes. No thought. Perhaps I read to deep into this, after all Bebo is only a bit of fun but it is also a major social networking site, at least in Ireland & the UK as well as most of the English speaking world (though laterly being surpassed by Facebook). However I do think that the problem with this "Baby Application" is not the creation of a 'Bebo Baby'-All Children, virtual and real are a blessing- but rather the means to its creation. Perhaps a time limit and a developmental cycle of the child's creation would have been something of merit which should have been considered. Then at least some semblance of reality but also of responsibility with regards the rearing of Children would be realised.

Certainly for me, it will not be a case of *click* Add Application *click* Create Baby. A Child should be a considered option for all and no parent should shirk that responsibility. For as I said a child is a blessing, at all times. Those times may not always be oppourtune but what does it matter. A Child deserves its love and attention and indeed we all crave it. For the time being I will Shirley will get the love and attention she deserves. However I look forward to the day when I have a child of my own with someone whom I am committed to deeply. Until then, I shall wait...



PS if anybody knows of or finds the Man of my dreams, can they forward him along my way sometime soon. Searching can be quiet drearsome at times. :-)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home