Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Poem: When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple - Jenny Joseph

When I was doing my junior certificate, I remember learning this poem by Jenny Joseph. Whilst most of it I have forgotten, I have always remembered about the excentricities of the poem and in particular the line title of the poem 'When I am an Old Woman I shall Wear Purple". Whilst on many levels it plays to a certain theme of the lack of cares of the elderly but ultimatley I think that it highlights more the responsibilities of youth and conforming to the norms of what a person should do at a given time in their lives i.e. not wear purple and a red hat together. Not spending excess money when rent has to be paid. I think I like this poem more though because of its final lines : "But maybe I ought to practice a little now? So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple. ". In my book it justifies being excentric in youth but aso using youth to be youthful and experiencing youth, whilst acknowledging the events you should do whilst growing up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------








When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple - Jenny Joseph




When I am an old woman I shall wear purple


With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,


And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves


And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.




I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired


And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells


And run my stick along the public railings


And make up for the sobriety of my youth.


I shall go out in my slippers in the rain


And pick the flowers in other people's gardens


And learn to spit. You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat


And eat three pounds of sausages at a go


Or only bread and a pickle for a week


And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.




But now we must have clothes that keep us dry


And pay our rent and not swear in the street.


And set a good example for the children.


We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.


But maybe I ought to practice a little now?


So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised


When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home