Sunday, July 27, 2008

Comments & Updates

Microsoft Word (Windows)Image via Wikipedia
Ok well I do have a reason for not posting as frequently as I have been for the last couple of months. Between family deaths, work and finishing off my Masters, life has been a bit chaotic for the last couple of months. The Masters however (thankfully at last!) currently is sapping most of my free time and my not-so-free time out of my life. However it is a thoroughly enjoyable feeling to have a lead weight around your neck with the pressure that writing a Masters level thesis comes with. NOT! If it was not for the help and support of friends and family I would possibly have gone completly mad at this stage.
So what has the Hedgehog been up to for the last number of weeks? Well he has been pretty busy in work and he has been busy thesising it. Whilst also enjoying looking out at the sunshine from inside the Office and the Library in UCD. Thoroughly enjoyable experience. This weekend however I did not get much of the work on the thesis done as I would like. Thankfully I am off some 6 days in a row next weekend so I am aiming to get an awful lot done over those 6 days. Hopefully the first full draft of the whole text. I will also have the tissues ready for when it comes back to me with the dreaded comment boxes on the side.
They are such an effective tool, comment boxes. Espicially in MS Word. Such a pleasurable visual experience to see a row of comments down the side of your hours of heart,sweat and tears of work as you realise 'Oh crap there is soo many holes in my argument I will never get this done. Arghh'. Comments are a great way of boosting confidence. However it is something which has to be done and endured. Personally I much prefer those comment boxes in MS Excel. These comment boxes lurk in the corner of the cells. All you see is a little red arrow in the top right hand corner of the box. Blink and you will miss it. Sometimes that is a good thing but er it does not help your Intellect much.
So hopefully the comment boxes will not be many when I get it back. If it is well I will worry about it then. It will involve trawling back through my reams of articles, books, electronic journal articles and finding even more appropriate content in order to expand my argument further. Once I have that appropriate content, I will then take note of the page number to make sure that I do not loose the reference for fear of being accused of plagraism. Following on from that I will double check to make sure I have the reference put in my Bibliography folder and then back that up 3 times-Hard disk, USB & GMAIL- for fear of loosing it and completly cracking up. Then I will continue to hammer out my argument and hope for the best. This all seemed like such a great idea last year and when all is said and done and when I do hand in the Thesis in September, it will all be worth it. Until then I will return to my sea of paper and concepts and hope for the best.

Zemanta Pixie

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware the Microsoft Word comment boxes.

I have lost valuable work because of them. There comes a level when the package decides you've commented enough and crashes, losing everything on you.

July 28, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home