Thursday, February 28, 2008

A DEFINITE sign of the times...

Ok I am a bit of a lurker on the politcal parties websites, however I think this is a first for me. The main government party, Fianna Fáil has a translation service not in the first or second language of the country but rather in Polski. I don't speak Polish so I cannot vouch for its reliability but I am sure they have a well paid translator. However if I thought this was a fluke, I was slyly bemused to see a similar Polski translation service on the main opposition party, Fine Gael. However the Greens do not have one, nor the PDs( its ok nobody judges you).

However, the FF site does not allow for the whole site to be translated into Polski but rather specific stories related to the Polish card carrying FF members. Similarily the FG site does the same but also has provision for Lithuanian and Russian. Now initially I would have assumed this is to do with the Local and European Elections next year and incresing both parties vote in Europe by appealing to those EU nationals residing here. I still assume that is the case. However I am scared by Enda's pose in his Russian application form. Its proabably because I cannot read Russian and my language skills in general are quiet shite. However I am quiet impressed by both parties, in a little way for identifying these voters and bringing them into the loop of the Irish democratic system. Now if only we would open up our National elections to the same level of equity, we might have a truly representative democracy.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home