Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why I love the Irish Times Letters Page

How I love the Irish Times Letter page, first thing in the morning. If I had my way, I would extend he letters page into at least two pages and scrap the Crossword, give sudoko another two games and add horoscopes, but thats just me being lazy and not wanting to have to go online and find my horoscope every day. Anyway in todays' Letters pages two delightful contributers are writing in about the Civil Marriage debate. Anybody who has been reading here, or knows me personally will be aware of my opinion on this issue [if it hasn't already been stuffed down your throats enough. :-) ]. I particularly enjoyed the first of these letters from Brian Connolly of Birmingham, MI, USA and his rebuttle of Prof. Casey's assertations regarding the raising of children is ideal in a family of one father and one mother...oh wait sorry I misquoted, a "married father and mother", god forbid we would include anybody outside the box. A stable caring family unit provides the best option for a child. It does not matter if they are gay or straight. A child eventually grows up to be an adult, and personally (yes I am biased, but i'll acknowledge that) I would much prefer to see families of all kinds recognized under Irish law but more importantly that these families be protected under Irish Law.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Scrap the crossword"?

Fuck you. Heathen.

Also, The Irish Times letter page wearies me. As a letter recently criticised, witty one liners are preferrable. Also, rehash, rehash, rehash.

ENOUGH ON THE FUCKING MARRIAGE EQUALITY, ON "TAOISEACH AND TRIBUNAL" AND FUCKING O'SEARCAIGH!

February 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger John James said...

Dear Oz,
meh. I don't like the Crossword! I don't know anybody who does it, but sure what harm we will leave it in the newly update Letters page of the IT. Yes the times letters page at the moment can be slightly regurgitating-I have a friend of mine whose father and uncle had an argument via the letters page for some 4 months. However as an outlet for the readers to express their opinions goes, the Irish Times Letters Page is not necessarily the worst of them. I certainly can think of at least one other major daily which is worse.

Yes the themes of the letters at the moment are as you say above, but well that is a reflection of the themes on peoples minds at the moment. Also Its always good to have people challenging the views of the Iona Institute in general and vice versa. It shows us the freedom of the expression we have here. THAT is not to say however I agree with anything that the Iona Institute says. To quote you out of context "rehash, rehash, rehash".


Rgds,
j.

March 2, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home